Green Goddess Rules.............
Who is the Green Goddess you might ask.............Spinach my friends.........Im Popeyes girl ........no doubt about that.. Never had trouble eating spinach but yeah have major problems cleaning it up...........My end of the world when you pay for a bundle of this green wonder you get along with it lot of the mud in which it was grown and some weeds too.........so spinach cleaning is best done when I am watching some idiotic soap where listening is enuf.............you dont really have to look at the idiot box. okie let me get along with what im cooking today. Most Indians are familiar with it. Its called Paalak Paneer . ( Paalak = Spinach and Paneer = fresh cottage cheese) please correct me if I'm wrong...........Paalak Paneer is probably one of the most ordered main course items in India..........Its origins lie in Punjab or maybe I just made that up........LOL........dont take my word for it......okie and the cottage cheese well atleast the one Im cooking today owes its existence to the fact that the milk curdled today...........LOL......so we had to make cottage cheese right???? so here goes the recipe......
Ingredients
2 bunches of spinach cleaned and washed really nice........
3 green chillies
1 onion sliced,8-10 cloves of garlic cut finely,
1 Bay leaf ( I didnt use it but feel free to , gives a nice aroma to the spinach),
1 stick cinnamon optional
2 tbspns of cream.
3 tbsps oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
200 gms paneer cubed
1 tbspn lime juice optional
1 tbspn sugar optional
As you can see the ingredients are quite simple.............OKie quick lets go through the method . I have some pictures too for you to see......first take the spinach and wash it thoroughly.....drain and then blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes....
remove and then put it in a sieve and pass cold water through it... This makes sure that the spinach retains its dark green color. Believe me the appeal of this dish is in its color...
Now add three green chillies to the paalak and puree it.
the spinach pureee, chopped garlic and the sliced onions and paneer thats all there is to it.
Heat the oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds, when they sputter add the garlic , fry until golden brown add the onions and fry till soft and pink........YOu can add the bay leaf at this stage if you like and and a stick of cinnamon you might like as well. then add the puree to it......and add a little water if its too thick.....the conistency needs to be thick if you planning to eat rotis with it.
Now when the palak mix comes to a boil add the cubed paneer.........( get the reallyf resh paneer , then you dont need to deep fry it) honest i think fryin kills the softness of paneer.........so just put it in boiling gravy and let it warm all the way throughl. now stir in the beaten cream and the lime juice add the salt to taste and you done.........
okei popeyes girl is now ready to serve popeyes comfort food..................
you can eat paalak panner with rice but i live mine with soft phulkas..........the best part if when your teeth sink in to the ever so succulent paneer douched in the green wonder.....
I say Green Goddess Rules and I am her slave...............

Hi,
ReplyDeleteCame here from shilpa's -aayis blog.
Good blog...lots of conversation while cooking..interesting.
How do u manage to take step-by-step snaps??
Looking forward to good recipes..
Hi Sharda...Thanks for stopping by.Im delighted........its so funny that you hopped over to my space from aayis recipes......lol. ive still not managed to lure the cooking diva to my space.....Never mind I will accept left overs ( read that as spill overs ) if they are from Shilpas kitchen gratefully. as for the step by step photographs I dont know how long Im going to keep it up........LOL its quite tiresome really........Just that my panasonic camera is still wet behind the ears and the nonexistent photographer in me is delighted with her new toy.........as for the conversation i hope it keeps you entertained it keeps me focussed while cooking.........what i do is get all the ingredients together on a plate......step one.....then its easier to click photographs while you assemble the dish......but dont let me fool you......Its a lot of work really.
ReplyDeleteHi Ms: Olive..:)..I am another of Popoye gal too..I mean only for this dish..I am more of a carnivorous,still this one is like my most fav veggie side dish for roti's..:)..Loved ur detailed pics..:)Hope to see u at my space too..:)
ReplyDelete